no_leaf: (Neutral)
[personal profile] no_leaf

After a short volley of texts, Mack has made her way back to the youth center. These days her approach is more cautious and her truck, beloved as it is, is left a few blocks away. For those keeping tabs on it, they'd notice that it's been hastily painted over with a dark green, matte finish typical of spray cans. Mack herself has followed suit somewhat, her hair darkened and tucked up to be worn under her cap. She's currently set up in the corner of the room, back to the wall, knees bent.

Skylar doesn't come in from the crawlspace above, today, but instead seems to have been climbing across the tops of the lockers in the hall before she swings into the room. "Hey!" she calls as she lands. "Glad y' came."

"No Mission Impossible entrance through the ceiling rafters?" A tempered grin accompanies the question as she stands up. "Sooo is this good info talk, or I'm about to get my ass jumped talk?"

Skylar glances up toward the ceiling and grins. "Nah. A'ready came that way. Got bored." She keeps walking until she reaches the couch, but as seems to be usual for her, she doesn't sit, instead choosing to climb up on the back. "Good news. I guess? Mostly."

"Oh, well I like good news. What is it?" she asks. Mack makes her way toward the small seating area as well then, though she opts to stand just a few feet from the couch.

"Yeah," Skylar says as she stands on the back, arms stretched above her head to touch the ceiling tiles. "So I been lookin' into th' guys that were watchin', right? I started lookin' t' see if I could find 'em watchin', here. An' th' good news is, they ain't, yet. This wasn' what they was callin' th' nest, afterall. So that's good."

"Oh hell yeah. That's real good. Did you figure out where they /are/ watching? Or if they've picked up on our being clever and changing things up?" Mack relaxes a bit at this news, and moves to rest her rear against one of the recliners.

"Not yet? I mean, they ain't found this place, yet. So far as I can tell." Skylar paces along the length of the couch. "They're still watchin' th' warehouse, where y' met that kid, an' got y'self shot at? Yeah. That's what they were talkin' about with th' nest. They're pretty sure y' someone t' watch out for, so stay away from there, yeah? But they ain't got y' pegged as far as where y' go, an' where y' stay."

"Well that's something at least. I mean, I can't give up the truck. I just can't. So, I threw some paint on it, but, heh, she's a piece of shit. And a piece of shit is what it is, no matter what color bag you stuff it in." A sigh escapes her at this and she shakes her head, "Been keeping it parked away from here anyway. Just to be safe." Mack considers something briefly, then turns narrowed eyes at the other, "The girl, the Muslim girl. Any clue if she's steered clear or have you seen her around?"

Skylar's hands come down to slap against her thighs and she shakes her head with a dissatisfied sigh. "I don' think she's been back t' th' site, but she ain't keepin' her nose out'f things. She's been lookin' into MDCI an' Rothschild an' all that. An' I tried t' tell her it ain't safe, but she ain't one t' listen, y' know? An' it ain't like I can tell her there's real life monsters that'll come eat her. But if she ain't scared 'f th' guys with guns, it ain't like that'd make her stop, anyway."

Mack tsks at this, "Geezus. I told her the same thing. I mean, she puked. In. My car. You'd think getting nearly accosted by thugs, then shot at, then rescued by a stranger in a freaking candy van, and puking in it, would be a warning sign. She thinks she can make a difference. Tried to tell her to go to law school or some shit like that. Wouldn't bite. But here? I'm batting a thousand when it comes to sticking my neck out for randoms, so, I'm kinda done with that."

Skylar frowns and rakes a hand back through her too-short hair. "Yeah, well. She's around Maya a lot, so. I don' know. I can't give up on 'er, 'cause it'd kill Maya 'f she got hurt. Or worse, 'f she brought them back t' Maya's studio, an' got Maya hurt? But she's gettin' good information, too, so I don' know."

Mack tilts her head at that, giving a loaded raise of a brow to the other. "Yeah. Some day I'ma ask you about her too. She gives me a feeling I can't place and I'm not sure I like it. And that d-bag that was messing with her the one night? He felt it too."

"She's good," Skylar says with a note of finality and then hops down from the back of the couch onto the cushions. "Ben counts her as an ally, a'right? An' she's good with spirits. An' we need that, here. Y' know? Y' seen th' other side, yeah? We need help with that, an' she's good with it."

Mack gives a rather unconvinced, "Un-huh," to that but lets it go nonetheless. "Not like I got room to talk. I'm one step shy of a moocher at this point. Maybe knowing this place is still more safe than not, I'll lay low here more often now."

"Yeah," Skylar agrees with a grin. "It's good. I mean, we should all be careful, still, yeah? Make sure it ain't compromised. But it's good we got a place. An' maybe we can start workin' on some plans, t'gether, as a group. More'n we can do one by one."

Mack considers that last bit with a measure of tension added to her shoulders. After a moment though she nods, "Yeah maybe. Alright, I'm gonna go move the Beast. Grab some Skittles or something. I'll catch you later."

"A'right," Skylar answers, and she climbs back up onto the back of the couch, hands reaching for the ceiling as she watches Mack go.

Profile

no_leaf: (Default)
Mackenzie Harper

June 2015

S M T W T F S
 12 3456
78910111213
1415 1617181920
21222324252627
282930    

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Oct. 1st, 2026 11:26 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios